Sunday, December 25, 2011

"I Saw One In A River Once"


 "I Saw One In a River Once" 
Wikipedia.defines a double entendre (French pronunciation: [dublɑ̃tɑ̃dʁə]) as a figure of speech in which a spoken phrase is devised to be understood in either of two ways. Often the first (more obvious) meaning is straightforward, while the second meaning is less so: often risqué or ironic.

In this case, the double entendre is in the title.  It may signify that we saw a "fish" in a river, or that we saw the accumulation of "flotsam and jetsam" on the fish in a river . . . Either way, it is a compelling reflection, albeit, sad in many ways. . . .  Ironic?

For this earlier piece, a wooden fish was first painted with acrylic paints and then the entire surface is embellished with found objects, including buttons, watches, jewelry, bottle caps, and small plastic toys. Four wooden drawer pulls are his feet, and a vintage brass drawer handle is installed on top as a carrier.  (click on any image to enlarge) IN PRIVATE COLLECTION  9909

5 comments:

  1. I know! It is so sad to think of our 21st century flotsam and jetsam .... I found so many bits of bright colored plastic in Hawaii ... I hate to think of the creatures who mistake it for food! I think your piece is a bold statement even if it is whimsical :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! This is stupendous! I opened my email, and my jaw dropped! the colors 'reel' you in, and then you're 'caught' looking at the meaning behind it. really great, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both of these! and your references to seeing in a river is great. I have a good friend here in Jacksonville who covered an entire mannequin with "flotsam and jetsam" like this. She named her Florence. I've told her that Florence really needs to write a blog but haven't been able to convince her yet. I hope you had a lovely Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw a connection between your site and the A BOOK ABOUT DEATH project, so thought I'd stop by and see what was shaking. Lovely assemblages... a goddaughter of Cornell? With a joker streak right out of Richard Prince... Enjoyed it all.

    MATTHEW ROSE / PARIS

    ReplyDelete
  5. un poisson qui parle avec les mains..ça me plait!

    ReplyDelete