Saturday, May 26, 2012

"Words Escape Me"





"Words Escape Me"
I love to make assemblage works.  If you follow my work, you know that I often incorporate collage in to my work. I rarely use paint, because I have found that paper creates texture and depth, in a way that paint cannot.

On long road trips, I will bring along a couple of grocery bag fulls of old magazines, and use the hours in the car as a passenger to comb through the magazines and cut out images and words that catch my eye. I save these in folders marked "birds", 'faces", 'religion', and 'words' among many others.

Eventually, many of these images and words will be used in my work.  This piece came together as a result of a bulging "words" folder in my studio.

I love words. I love the different fonts and fanciful styles of words. I am thrilled when a few words can tell a complete story.(i.e., "The Little Brown Saint" or "Because The Sky is Always Falling").

This piece represents words in in our heads. 
What we think . . . What we say . . . What we wish . . . What we understand . . .
To use  these words in a 3-D collage, demonstrates the beauty and versatility of collage as a medium. Collage can bring together my found disparate words, and by arranging the papers in no particular order, will create a whole new conversation.  The process of collage is meditative and personal for me. Now I can touch the words and think about them, and have them near.  In a larger sense I am able to bring order to my love of words.
A foam head form covered in layers of words and tissue, a Japanese text book about the Jewish religion, sit atop a wooden revolving spice rack base, also covered in Japanese text. A vintage thermometer in the eye finishes the piece.

12 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. I love words and assemblage and putting them together this way is perfect. The added touch of the thermometer in the eye is great. Wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for stopping by!
      i am delighted you 'get' what i was trying to say about 'words' . . .

      anyway this piece was very fun to make, and i am working on another one, that is more text out of a vintage dictionary . . . i am almost finished with it and i will be posting it very soon.
      thanks again yvonne!

      Delete
  2. I'm catching up on your blog on my bus ride to come visit. Great new work! I too can be found with scissors cutting words and things out of all kinds of papers and brochures. Can't wait to see you and your art in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks pam! great to meet you and great to spend a couple of days 'thrifing' and 'garage saling'.

      Delete
  3. I just found your blog through French Country Cottage. I also am a Northern Ca. blogger! Nice to meet you, Terry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great to know ya@ thanks for stopping by! where in california do you live? i'm in santa rosa.

      Delete
  4. I really think this piece is cool. And I like that you theme your collages. Thanks for sharing.Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you paula. glad you like this piece. come back again soon.

      Delete
  5. How clever. I use magazine images for the basis of a lot of my AB pages, so I appreciate a fellow magazine saver/snipper!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rebeca I just joined your site, found you through Pam McKnight. I really like our work. Hope you can spare time to pop over to my site -we make similar things I think. I live in the UK. Regards Joan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful combination of words. this makes a very elegant piece.

    ReplyDelete