Friday, May 30, 2014

The Middle Child



 "Middle Child"
The experts say that middle children often feel left out and invisible, a contrast from their older and younger siblings. While older children get the benefits of all of the “firsts” a child accomplishes, younger children benefit from the emotional impact of being the baby of the family, often being spoiled and coddled. Middle children, however, often feel as though they have nothing special that is just “theirs.”
Over the years I find that I can often correctly identify a person's 'birth-order', by certain behaviors or traits they exhibit as adults. 
Myself, I am the youngest of 7 children, and I can say that even today, I clearly identify with the younger, coddled baby of the family, and thankfully a more independent, confident adult..

Which one are you?  YOUNGER?                    MIDDLE?                                        OLDER?
  
Vintage sewing machine drawer covered  on the inside with hand made papers and tissues. Three porceline doll heads representing the older more confident child, the younger, more independent child and the  middle child who often feels left out or treated unfairly.

8 comments:

  1. Love the work and the theme!

    Ho Ho Ho I'm an only, saved from the selfish only child syndrome by being sent to boarding school. One of 250 there soon got the selfish me, me, me thing over then :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were 4 of us but I am third... so a middle child of sorts!! Love the use of the sewing machine drawer and the sad faced doll for the middle child, this would definitely be one of my many favourites of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice work. Love those doll faces. Great job.:) Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I collect old doll heads and love this piece. I am the eldest of three - I always felt I had to excel at everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very, very cool assemblage! This has got me thinking about the role of birth order in my life; food for thought for many of us, I would imagaine. Love the sewing machine drawer and the ruler, too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm on Ebay UK so may not show up in USA. Search on advanced page for joan7870

    I think you have to set an option somewhere to worldwide to pick up UK sales.

    My PC has a virus so am on a really ancient laptop. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool. I am the oldest!
    thanks for all your comments on my blog that I just now found awaiting moderation! I had changed the settings after some spam and somehow missed seeing any notifications.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a clever creation! I love the way you used the old sewing machine drawer and the old yardstick. I'm the oldest child:-) Thanks so much for sharing at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete