Saturday, October 30, 2010

"Circa 1986"


"Circa 1986"
In the mid 80's I was living in New York, and climbing the 'corporate ladder. 
On my days off I would often wander the streets of the city with 35mm camera in hand, photographing interesting people, colorful doorways or thought provoking graffiti. 

Additionally, I would always I would find "stuff" to use on my boxes (note the little black bull on top, or the head shot postcards of news personalities, the skeleton key inside the box).  Although at the time I did not call what I did "art", all of these 'found' treasures would eventually find their way into or onto one of my boxes.

Yes folks - this is a box I made for a dear friend a long time ago, long before I even knew the word "assemblage”. (click on any image to enlarge)  
IN PRIVATE COLLECTION 

3 comments:

  1. It's exciting to me that you were an artist before you *knew* you were an artist. Your assemblage pieces are gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Effy - it was pretty wild seeing this piece again - i almost didn't believe/remember i had made it . . . but it's was a fun confirmation that this is a calling from many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is wonderful to hear how an artist evolves into their creative art works-- in your case- your boxes.

    ReplyDelete