Saturday, November 6, 2010

"House of Spirits"


"House of Spirits"
A brightly painted blue box incorporates religious imagery from several continents. I do not consider myself particularly 'religious', but the images associated with religion, more specifically the christian religions, are powerful, and always bring on overwhelming feelings left over from childhood experiences. Visit any church in any country, and the "spirits" can be felt or seen or perceived no matter what your own inclinations may be.
On the back is a black and white image depicting a church in the background, embellished with a hand made and welded 'spoon-handle' cross, and finished with a vintage brass Jesus.  Inside and behind glass is a colorful wooden egg, a miniature wooden harp, and a small flower vase.  2 colorful fish hang from the ceiling.  Wooden blocks for feet, and an amber glass drawer pull on top.  A brass bell hangs on the side. (click on any image to enlarge)

6 comments:

  1. I love the creativity in your work!! Wonderful boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Again!! And your right--there's something about religious icons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rebeca, I totally agree with you. I don't have any real connection with any particular religion, but I'm fascinated by the the iconography and symbols, and I love the way you've collected and assembled them in your pieces. There is a spirit to them that resonates sacredness and beauty, beyond specificity of belief, to me.
    Thanks for your visit, I'm glad you came by and left a comment so that I could discover your wonderful creations!! I'll be back, I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. le saint esprit s'allume ! très original!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merci Elfi! Vous êtes très aimable.

    ReplyDelete