Monday, December 12, 2011

"Day Dreams"

 
"Day Dreams"

At the edge of the garden, let the dream begin . . .
~ Author Unknown ~

Wkipedia defines a daydream as a visionary fantasy, one of happy, pleasant thoughts, hopes or ambitions, imagined as coming to pass and experienced while awake. Daydreaming can also be a reference to future planning or a review of past memories.

While daydreaming has long been considered a lazy, non-productive pastime, daydreaming can also be constructive and productive. There are many examples of people in creative, artistic careers, such as artists, composers, novelists and filmmakers, who will often utilize day dreaming to develop new ideas.

This whimsical assemblage is housed in a sewing machine drawer that has been lined in green tissues, mirrors and magazine images. A porcelain doll head, a music box and a protractor reflected on mirrors add to the story. The word DREAM is spelled out in Boggle letter dice.   The glass lidded box is dotted on the outside with acrylic paints (nail polish). On the back I have attached a beautiful brass calendar, and a vintage bingo card. The music box plays the tune "Somewhere My Love".
  
A life without dreams is like a garden without flowers.
~ Author Unknown ~

9 comments:

  1. I love this "daydream"!
    So delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love this piece. As I looked at it I really focused on the paint dots that you've added that really make the overall piece stand out.

    It also reminded me of another piece I think you did that was a clock with copper wire and nail polish? Or am I thinking of another artist?

    Anyway, your doll head pieces are some of your best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, my "Unknown" comment I just posted was a mistake. I wanted you to know it was from me, Cecilia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. heureusement que tu ne rêve pas le jour..si non pas de créations merveilleuses..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm crazy about this assemblage. What struck me were the paint (nail polish) circles and the protractor. I so enjoy your imagination.

    You asked about my resist fabric and what I'll be doing with it. I have already turned it into a small quiltlet, but must wait till my friend receives it before I can show it on my blog. Thanks for asking, though. BTW, I gave one of the pieces to a friend and used the second piece in my quiltlet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun!!! And perfect at this time of year!! I bet you did have a great time putting this one together...I would have!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daydream ... your assemblage makes me dream - of childhood, village fairs, Christmas wishes, sweets... wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so awesome!

    ReplyDelete