Tuesday, June 19, 2012

"Time Was On His Side"

 
"Time Was On His Side"
This assemblage began with the image of the handsome young man inside the clock box, whose identity I do not know . . . I found the photo tossed inside a large bin along with hundreds of other vintage photographs. When I was looking through the pile of images, this one literally jumped out at me. His fresh face seemed so full of promise, his eyes so full of hope, his future so bright. I wondered what became of him? Did he live a life fulfilled? Did he achieve great success? Was he generous and kind? Did his grandchildren look up to him? Or did he loose his way somehow?

Vintage wooden clock case contains an acrylic skin of the young man's image over a background of sheet music, and the original Baby Ben clock face. A tiny metal Model T in the forefront. The outside of the clock box is embellished with a single strand of glass beads holding a silver key on the end. A metal leaf from an Italian wall sconce, and a small brass spinning wheel add interest. 

8 comments:

  1. Just beautiful Rebeca. I love your work. Thanks for sharing. Now that I think of it, I have an old clock that needs reviving. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Gloria! I always love when you stop by! and yes, get that old clock out of the closet . . . reand get to work . . .

      Delete
  2. This is wonderful Rebeca--one of my favorites. I wonder the same thing when I see these old photos--and I also wonder how some of them end up in a big box at a flea market--kind of sad to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebeca, great piece! Love how you used the frame, and the pieces inside it too. I used a frame just like that in an art torso I made for a live art show last Fall... wish I had more of them as well! http://robertasrandom.blogspot.com/2011/10/tribute-to-art-life-event-celebrating.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice you could salvage the photo and honor it! Wish his family (if he had one) could see it now! I love the close up that shows the detail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rebeca, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great piece... Another one of my favorites... I think I've lost count... too many great pieces to choose just one..
    Keep up the wonderful work...
    Joe Perez

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is wonderful. What a creative use of found objects. I always wonder about the people in the stray pictures I find. Who are these people and what ever happened to them?

    ReplyDelete