Sunday, June 5, 2011

"She Would Only Fly When No One Was Looking"


 "She Would Only Fly When No One Was Looking"
    Last year I received a birthday card with the following sentiment: "For A Long Time, She Flew Only When She Thought No One Was Looking". . .  it liked it so much that it has stayed with me for months.
    I found this wonderful box at an estate sale a couple of months ago, apparently it used to hold tools or nails or tacks . . . I covered the box in handmade papers, and put it on a stand with a small wind-up music box on the bottom. On the left inside wall, a mirror reflects the doll, and on the right inside wall, you see bits of safety glass with various images underneath.
    The doll is made up of doll arms, a doll head and a vintage curry powder spice tin.  She holds a set of golden wings in one hand and a gun in the other . . . contradictory at best
    The doll is suspended from the back allowing the legs and arms to move. On top is a blue water faucet handle, and on the back I added a silver metal piece that was formally a strainer from a shrimp cocktail server. The front of the box has a glass cover. (click on any image to enlarge)

6 comments:

  1. Oh I love this! Where do you find all your lovely little boxes, they are always perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I found you found me through the Artist blog hop!
    I am your newest blog follower. :)
    Looking forward to seeing your upcoming posts!

    Thank you for checking out my art blog and leaving a comment earlier, too!
    Best,
    Mary C. Nasser
    http://www.marycnasser.com/blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that title, and such an amazing array of "things" you assembled....so charming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh--this is so outstanding--I love art dolls of any kind--and she is perfect--great title too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your quote (as it seems do all your readers - good taste, I think), and I relate to it completely. This is a beautiful piece of art, all items working together so well. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete