Friday, May 4, 2012

"First Kiss"

"First Kiss"
A dear friend from Chicago came to visit last month. She had made special arrangements for us to attend a private wine tasting at Smith-Madrone, a winery in Napa. The tasting took place in the small but efficient, and authentically dusty wine cellar, where we were entertained and charmed by Charles Smith, the owner-winemaker. He shared with us many interesting stories of his 40 years of making wine in this beautiful vineyard/winery setting. 

Looking around the cellar, there were many things that caught my eye, and Charles generously shared their history with us. One item that was of great interest to me was a funky black board, the kind you might see at an old neighborhood tavern, with the following quote written on it, in chalk:
"We are all mortal, until the first kiss and the second glass of wine."
Eduardo Galeano
I am always on the lookout for quotes I can use in my scrabble art pieces.  
Needless to say, this is one is my new favorites.  

A small cabinet door found at my local Habitat for Humanity Re-Store, is collaged in layers of colorful tissue and over-layered with sewing pattern tissue. Scrabble tiles spell out the quote, and 2 butterflies finish the piece.  Ready to hang.  14" x 5"
(click on image to enlarge)