Wednesday, March 19, 2014

A Fish Named Pes




"A Fish Named Pes"
In Spanish the word for a fish in the water is "Pez".

A fish that is out of the water, after being caught is called a "Pescado" (the word pescado literally means 'caught')

This jazzy-snazzy flounder took the name Pes, as a shortened reference to his current state, as a caught fish.

A wooden box that previously held olive oil, is now a caddy for 'Pes', vintage, hand cut wooden letters spell the word "PES". The ceramic fish was broken when it was given to me.  I glued it back together,and added drops of yellow nail polish create spots.
I stained the background, the letters and the fish the same paint-stain color. Then I mounted it all in the box that has been covered on the inside in beautiful aqua papers, and overlaid everything with sewing pattern tissue to tone down the colors.
A part of a fishing pole, that I found washed up on a beach in Aransas Pass, Texas last year embellishes the piece.
A brass drawer pull along the side, finishes the piece.

My apologies for the poor quality of the image, this piece was taken out of the studio and into the gallery before a proper photograph could be taken. . . .  but it is a fun piece.

4 comments:

  1. Every time I visit, I think how clever you are to put all these disparate items together and make them a truly remarkable piece of art. This piece is no different. The sum of the parts is truly better than each piece individually. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. feuerwerk ( les pompiers, en allemand).. à force d'éteindre..ils ont noyé le poisson :))))))) biz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always amazed at the cool stuff you find and would love a photo of where it is all stored one day!! Love Pez, he is a cool fish indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rebeca. Good to see you. Things have been busy for me. Sorry I missed this post. Thank you for your nice comment on my blog. You never cease to amaze me with your style of work. This is awesome. Just beautiful with a story too. I learned something new about pez and pescado. Today I'm the pescado as I've been caught in the beauty of your work.:)

    ReplyDelete