Monday, March 9, 2015

Knowledge and Power




 "Knowledge and Power"
The U.S Bureau of Engraving and Printing is the only agency authorized to develop and produce United States currency notes.  The BEP prints billions of dollars each year for delivery to the Federal Reserve System.  
When currency becomes badly soiled, dirty, defaced, disintegrated, limp, torn, or worn, they may be exchanged for new notes, through your local bank.  These damaged, no longer useful notes are removed from circulation, and returned to BEP who will shred the bills. Believe it or not, these shredded bits of US currency can be purchased directly from BEP . . .

I, however, found this bag of shredded money at a local garage sale recently.

 

 I called the Bureau of Engraving and Printing to inquire about this, as I was worried that there maybe be legal considerations for the use of this product.  I was told it was ok to use this bag of shredded money in what ever way I wanted.  Yey! Art materials!
***
A mannequin head wearing rim-less eye glasses, is covered in bits of shredded currency, and sits atop several CDs and a 1945 Standard American Encyclopedia Volume 1 A - Art.  
A small glass bottle is also mounted on the book, filled to overflowing with money. Two vintage brass drawer pulls anchor the piece.  Note the feet under the book . . . are vintage brass toilet seat hinges.



5 comments:

  1. :)))) j'adore..lde cette façon,'argent n'a vraiment pas d'odeur ! à quand le trip 'france'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting. I didn't know about the shredded money. You have used it well. Great work. Oh and yes I an a farmer. :)) there is nothing like growing your own veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who knew?? Wonderful piece Rebeca. I love how you created the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your shredded money looks much different from mine. Mine looks like doll hair. It's all thin (maybe 1/16" to 1/8" wide by about 4" in length. All quite uniform. I got a bag when I visited BEP in Washington DC and took their tour. I got to see money created and got to buy some (in their gift shop) they had shredded. Talk about a life cycle!! You can actually make out denominations and real shapes in yours. You SCORED!!! I bet I paid more for my shredded money that came in a small baggie, than you paid for yours in a printed bag!

    Your latest assemblage is really great. I like how you mounted the head, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW this is amazing, I didn't know that you can buy shredded money. For sure they will be great material for crafts. The head you made is awesome.

    Spring cleaning Chelsea

    ReplyDelete