Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Parts of Me Are Everywhere . . .



"Parts of Me Are Everywhere"
Last year, I participated in the Marin Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA)  Book Show.
Although I often use book text in my art work, I don't often work in 'book arts', per se.
The piece submitted last year to the MOCA Book Show titled "Altered Alice,  started out as a vintage, tattered copy of the children's classic  "Alice In Wonderland".  I was pleased with the finished piece, that was sold off at auction, along with the works of other artists who created art pieces specifically for this annual event.
* * *
This piece is my latest attempt at creating an assemblage using a book focus. Along with the folded pages of a book, I incorporated the arms and legs of a porcelain doll onto a wooden box that formally held a bottle of whiskey. The face, albeit, a bit broken, seems strong, expressive.

BACK STORY:
When I started the piece, all I was thinking about was that I needed a smallish book with lots of text and no images.  So I selected a book with a green cover from my 'stash'.

After the piece was finished I googled the title of the book I had selected "Ascended Master Saint Germain" just to see what was what . . . and OH MY! . . . an interesting juxtapose . . . don't you think?

4 comments:

  1. I saw this on pinterest and thought that looks just like a Rebeca Trevino original! I followed the link and here you are! Great piece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started to leave a comment yesterday, then got sidetracked by looking up the book. This is definitely a fun, fun piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebeca, yes I know!! What a relief. Me too, I feel the same way. He is alive and we can now find out their motives. Aaaah, I feel so happy for Boston and it's peoples.

    Now to your piece. Wow, that's a lot of work. It's a wonderful doll who definitely has a "story" to tell.:) Great work! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm back to reply to your comment you left on my blog yesterday. Sorry to be so slow, but I've been nursing my neighbor Sally's sick cat while she's out of town.

    You asked what gasket material is. It is the thin rubber you buy at big box hardware stores (mine came from Home Depot) to replace broken gaskets. You can see a photo of what this material looks like in the first two photos of this post:

    http://alteredbooklover.blogspot.com/2010/05/woyww-51-stamping-tutorial.html

    ReplyDelete