Thursday, December 5, 2013

Jack and the Fish Catcher

 "Fish Catcher"

"Jack Always Wears A Rolex"

These two smalls were finished a few weeks ago, and before I could post about them, off to the gallery they went.

First is "Fish Catcher", a sweet little wooden truck, hand made by someone's dad, I am sure . . . I found it 6 or 7 months ago at the flea market. It was at the bottom of a cardboard box containing multitudes of plastic toys, including cars, balls and GI Joes . . . I loved it the minute I saw it.

As I dug deeper in that same box, looking for other pieces of interest, I found Jack.

"Jack Always Wears a Rolex" * makes me laugh just looking at him. He is a hand carved, hand painted rabbit from the state of Oaxaca, Mexico.  He was pretty banged up when I found him, but a little acrylic paint and a varnish finish made him almost-new again.

Both pieces sit atop a 4"- 2x2 wooden block, collaged in various papers, magazine images, and tissues. The "Fish Catcher's" eyes were transplanted from a now deceased stuffed teddy bear.

* NOTE: In researching titles for both pieces, I came across a very entertaining column in the Grant County Beat, the local newspaper for Silvercity, NM.
The column written by NM artist Barbara Jorgen Nance, is titled "Jack Rabbit Wore a Rolex"  . . . I found it entertaining and worth the read.


No comments:

Post a Comment