Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Ace - The Flying Pigasus



"Ace - the Flying Pigasus"
I am reminded of Pigasus, the flying pig, used by John Steinbeck as a personal stamp with the motto in Latin “To the stars on the wings of a pig”.  The pigasus symbolized Steinbeck as "earthbound but aspiring"…”with not enough wingspread but plenty of intention".

A flying pig suggests an impossible event coming to pass. Truth be told, I believe that if enough thrust is applied, any pig is capable of flight. Ace”, however, has wings and wheels . . . so off he goes!

I found this vintage wooden pig toy on a wooden cart when I was in Seattle during the Phinney Ridge/Greenwood Neighborhoods Garage Sale Day last year. When I found him, he was painted PINK, and his pull string was BROWN

He is now covered in text from a vintage encyclopedia and embellished with 'Bits' and 'Bling". His wings are nickel and brass reflector fishing lures. His tail is a wine cork screw.

Ace gets his name from his bottle cap hat . . . Ace Hard Cider, made right here in Sonoma County.  

 All in all, Ace is a pretty cool pig! 

20 comments:

  1. un cochon baroque! rebeca flying force..:)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love him! He would fit right in here in the Cincinnati area, where flying pigs are the symbol of the city!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ace is definitely the coolest pig I've seen. I love all the creative bits and pieces he's wearing. Thanks for bringing him to the Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first thing I noticed was Alex Trebek, then the tail. This is one really awesome pig. Love how you revamped him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. E- the character you mentioned is actually a lapel pin with a bouncy head from a retired California politician . . . Senate Pro-Tem John Burton, but you are right he does look like the game show host Trebek.

      Delete
  5. Hi Rebeca. Hope you are doing well. Just popped in to see your little piggy. I love it! I think I want to try this sometime. I don't have enough bling though. ::)) take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stopping by Gloria!
      wish we lived closer we could work on a project together.

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness, Rebeca. My girls and I adore Pigasus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Kelly. glad you stopped by. Ace is pretty darn cute.

      Delete
  7. A pretty cool pig indeed! I love how your brain works... you see a pink pig on wheels at the garage sale and look what happens!! Pigasus... love him!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi
    your flyingpigaseus is totally awesome...must have taken ages
    janet .... calling by from WOYWW

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Ace and all his bling! He is definitely one cool pic.

    ReplyDelete